Derek McCormick’s Violin Blog

Making a violin and other violin-related topics

The f-holes

I have now finished arching and thicknessing the front and the purfling has been fitted.

I have now finished arching, purfling and thicknessing the front. These procedures are identical to the treatment of the back except that the front is more even in thickness. Most of the front is 2.4-2.6mm thick with slightly thicker areas arond the position of the f-holes. The area which will support the soundpost is also left thicker (3mm) to give added strength. In this slightly bizarre photo I am holding the front against the light to demonstrate the translucence of the spruce.

I have now used a couple of special tools to cut the finials at each end of the f-holes. These cutting tools remove little wooden discs as seen in the picture. The pencil lines seen on the inside of the front

I have now used a couple of special tools to cut the finials at each end of the f-holes. These cutting tools remove little wooden discs as seen in the picture. The pencil lines seen on the inside of the front are guides for placement of the f-holes.

f-finials

I have now drawn the f-holes on the outside using a cardboard template, with the holes as guides.

sawn-f

Using a fret saw with a very fine blade I have cut out the body of the f-holes keeping well clear of the guide lines.

f-knife

Geting to the final outline of the f-holes with a fine-bladed knife used from the inside.

dscf2075

The f-holes have now been completed. The poster behind the front is a photograph of the origninal Guarneri instrument on which my violin is based.

April 30, 2009 Posted by | (11) The f-holes | Leave a comment